Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Top 10 Tuesday #4- Books we'd hand to someone who...

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish! Leave a link to your Top 10 in the comments!

Top 10 books we'd hand to someone who says they don't like to read:
(Love this Top 10 this week...this is what we do as an English teacher and a School Librarian everyday!!)
  1. Glass Castle by Jeanette Wells- people tend to already know about A Child Called "It" and have read that and only that sometimes and this one is a great one to suggest to them as another one on the same lines...true, sad, a bit brutal, but they end up ok.
  2. Dairy Queen by Catherine Murdock- This is a great one for those who haven't read a book in forever. Once you get them to try it they tend to read all 3!
  3. Dark Powers Trilogy by Kelley Armstrong- These are fabulous adventure, creepy paranormal, teenage angst at times, mystery/thriller. Love them and so do people who try them out. They tend to fly through the whole series and then try the spin-off Darkness Rising.
  4. Hatchet by Gary Paulsen- this is a bit lower level reading but a great read that guys tend to really like. Plus, once they read one of his and find it's not too bad they'll usually read a few more of his and there are SO many!
  5. Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepherd- people who like the show or "this type" of show you can hook with this book. Once they read one they seem to fly through the whole series! 
  6. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins- do I even need to explain this!? Seriously...if you haven't read them, what in the world are you waiting for?
  7. Anything by Meg Cabot- especially Avalon High, but anything seems to work for girls! Her books are funny, adventureous, sometimes teen angsty and just plain GOOD! 
  8. Flight by Sherman Alexie- (no, we aren't obsessed with him! Ok, maybe a little bit. Shhh!) this is one that I semester after semester had to my tough, guy students who hate  to read and openly gloat that they have never read a single book ever. Once they start this one they can't stop! LOVE it! (Not only that, we then get them to create book trailers of it! Mwahahaha!)
  9. Anything by Clive Cussler- Adventure, crime, adventure, treasure, adventure, mystery...did I mention adventure? You can pick any, OR start at the beginning of either the Dirk Pitt books with Pacific Vortex or with the beginning of the Oregon Files with Golden Buddha, OR just try Sahara! They aren't amazing from beginning to end, but always make sure to read the first 4 or 5 chapters before giving up because he's setting up all of the random things that will all come together magically in the end! I promise! These are Ange's summer reads!
  10. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling- these are amazing reads for anyone, especially books 1 through about 4. People who have never read books before will pick these up and fly through them, but some seem to slow down and not finish the series once they get huge in page numbers with 4. Phenomenal books which changed the face of publishing!     
What's on your Top 10 this week? 

10 comments:

  1. I've got the Glass Castle in my TBR. Nice list today. kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. I have been meaning to pick up The Glass Castle for a long time. I may have to move it to the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hatchet is one of the most memorable reading experiences of my child. It really horrified me, but I couldn't stop thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you put Meg Cabot on your list! She is the queen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your list - I don't read a lot of non-fiction, but absolutely loved Glass Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've intrigued me with Flight. Adding it to my mental TBR. I hope it doesn't get lost up there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I hope u r not disappointed! It's a short read u could prob finish in one evening if you wanted. Such a great one though. If u like it, I then recommend The Absolutely True Diary of a Part time Indian by Alexie!

      Delete
  7. Very diverse list! I've seen a ton with HP, I really don't think you can go wrong with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list - such a lot of different varieties! I love the books on that list that I have read and so I can't wait to read the rest! I especially want to read Dairy Queen!

    Stephanie
    - Please visit my latest post & if you haven’t already, enter my International Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete