Monday, March 5, 2012

Review: The Gathering Storm (Katerina Trilogy, Book 1) by Robin Bridges

The Gathering Storm (The Katerina Trilogy, #1)The Gathering Storm 
Author: Robin Bridges
Release Date: January 10, 2012
Publisher: Random House and Delacorte Books for Young Readers
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Russia, 1888. Royal debutante Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg, has a very dark secret she has been hiding for most of her life, but suddenly when she saves the life of a another with her gift she attracts the unwanted attention of the some of the most powerful women who also are more than meets the eye. Katiya is drawn towards the light and the darkness of the paranormal world that's unfolding around her and dragging her deeper and deeper inside of it. Will Katiya choose the light? Or will she be drawn to the dark that's inside her?


My thoughts: Russia, 1888 + Royalty + Beautiful Balls + Two perfect matches fighting over the main character + a young who wants to be something in a time that wasn't "allowed" + paranormal world = FABULOUS!! I know, that's a lot but I LOVED this! One of the things that I loved the most about the main character was that not only is she incredibly intelligent and wants desperately to be allowed to study to become a doctor, but she's also completely dedicated through and through to her family and all that is included in being part of that family. Her greatest fear seems to be that she might disappoint her family in some way...what a beautiful characteristic to have in our world full of selfishness! Then there's her power as a necromancer which she has almost completely smothered her entire life to keep it hidden from the world...I can't wait to see what she can really do.


Final thoughts: The struggle of dark and light become epic in this gorgeous world that Bridges has ripped from a time in history in a country in history that was brimming with anger and power, turning it into a beautiful world of royal intrigue and family ties that our main character is willing to die for to defend while also defending the Tsar. Brilliant Bridges. Just Brilliant! Can't wait for the book 2!
View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this book as well! I got an ARC for The Unfailing Light and I can't wait to read it. I saw on goodreads that your review will be coming up soon! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

    I think my only complaints would be about the multitude of minor characters and George's lack of character development. Hopefully that'll be remedied in the sequel :).

    ReplyDelete