Sunday, April 8, 2012

Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules 
Author: Julie Kagawa
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Published by: Harlequin Teen 
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Allison Sekemoto has been hungry for as long as she can remember in this city where Vampires rule and humans are cattle meant to be harvested or put to work for the sole benefit of the Vampires. As long as you are a Registered human and make sure to go to your twice monthly bloodletting, you are fed and kept "safe." If you choose to be an Unregistered human, then you get nothing...no protection, no food, no shelter...you ARE nothing. This is what Allison and her crew have chosen to be instead of being "owned" and branded to a Vampire.
Each day they must beg and scavenge to survive until the next day. When Allie comes across a jackpot of an untouched storage basement in the ruins while scavenging, will they survive risking it all for enough food to last them months? Or will they lose everything to the rabids who have taken over the ruins? And what if the rabids aren't the only things that go bump in the night?


My thoughts: Holy moly! In one sentence...it's Blade meets Alice of the Resident Evil series! First of all, the fact that I literally read this entire book yesterday even though it took me until 3 a.m. tells you something! Second, the development of the characters and the world they live in was perfection. I was sucked in immediately with Allie, and I literally felt as though I was right there with her every step of her journey from the Fringes to the ruins, to the underground and on to the odyssey through the wilderness on the pilgrimage to find Eden. The choices and consequences that Allie and the people around her make and deal with kept me on the edge of my seat for the entire ride until the very last page! And what an ending! Are you kidding me!?
I also thoroughly enjoyed the incredibly different and thought-provoking bits and pieces about religion in Allie's world that are presented when you least expect it. I can't wait to discuss this one with Rachel.
This was my first Julie Kagawa book, and man am I in! The Iron Fey series is coming home with me this summer from the MHS LMC and I will certainly be buying this one as soon as it's avaiable for the MHS LMC! The kids are going to LOVE this series and I can't wait to be able to gush about it to them, put it in their hands and then listen to THEM gush about it afterwards when they bring it back!


Final thoughts: If you like girls who kick-butt and don't look back, then this book is for you! So what are you waiting for!? Go out and get it now!!


My playlist: Flyleaf, Florence and the Machine "Lungs", Evanescence, Led Zepplin, Bond, Drowning Pool, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Soundtrack from the TV show, it's so good if you don't have it!), and a bit of Paramore and Avril Lavigne.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I have the ARC of this from NetGalley! So glad to hear it's such a good read :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

    ReplyDelete