Monday, April 9, 2012

Top 10 Tuesday #12- Books that were deceiving...



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by the team over at Broke and the Bookish! Leave a link to your Top 10 below!

Top 10 Books that were totally deceiving... 
(thought would be great and weren't OR thought they were fluff and were great)

1. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer- My students consumed the book and kept encouraging me to read it, and I'll admit, at first, I thought teenage vampires, really!? But my kids were right and I ended up consuming these right along with them-the suspense, the romance, the danger ;) (Rachel)

2. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson- I understand now that I've read the book why the cover is what it is...but sadly I really don't like it and never would have picked it up if it hadn't been required in a college Adolescent Lit. class! Boy am I ever glad I did read it! It's amazing! Perfect! A story that MUST be told and should be required. Plus, it opened up the world that is Laurie Halse Anderson to me and she is, and has been, one of my most favorite authors ever since! (Ange)

3. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card- This novel was a part of the a curriculum I stepped into and I thought intergalactic warfare involving aliens was going to be a bit too Star Trek for me. But it turns out Ender is a main character that I will never forget. I loved his physical and mental struggles as he trained in a cutthroat school and his emotional struggles revolving around loss of home, family and identity. So good! (Rachel)

4. The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfeld- The cover for this paperback (which is what we have at our MHS LMC) is amazing, plus it's a trilogy that's complete! Usually this is a foolproof equation for me. Sadly this was not the case for this book, or series. I really didn't like the characters and that never went away for me. I think I actually began to hate them. :(  I read this first one in the series and thought...I'll give the 2nd a try because sometimes the 2nd is off-the-charts and if you don't try it you'll never know. Still wasn't the case, and I didn't even finish the 2nd one. Which I hate! I hate it when I can't finish a book! It festers. I'm a finisher of what I've started. The interesting thing about this series is that I have a teacher at my middle school who's favorite series ever is this one! You just never know what's going to click with a person. One of my best lessons from being a librarian. (Ange)

5. Eragon by Christopher Paolini- I love The Hobbit and other Tolkien stories, so when my brother told me about this book, and I heard descriptions of Eragon's fantasy adventure as Tolkien-esque, I figured I'd give it a try. I never finished the book. I couldn't. The descriptions of the world, the people and creatures went on forever; they felt unoriginal and dry. Never finishing a book is the worst thing I do because, usually, if I'm not that into a story I still need to skim it to find out how it ends. I was deceived! (Of course, my brother completely disagrees with me!) (Rachel)

6. Medusa Jones by Ross Collins- This is one that just looked to darn young for me to pick it up unless that's what I was going for. My full-time LMC assistant at MMS LMC practically stuck in my hands one day and said, "You HAVE to read this!" LOL! It was one of the many, many things that has made me absolutely adore her. And she was right! It's just stinking adorable and incredibly clever! Think of all the "bad guys" you can from Greek mythology and then picture them as misfit teenagers being bullied by the "heroes"! See!? Adorable! If you haven't read it, do it because it'll literally take you an evening to read. Plus, it's a great one on bullying in a very safe mode.(Ange)

7. The International Kissing Club by Ivy Adams- Okay, this is a recent one. I loved the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series and was worried that this would end up disappointing me (kind of a knock-off, if you will), but surprise, surprise I couldn't put it down. The authors created four original and unique characters whose witty words and crazy lives pulled me in. I didn't even mind the overt reference to not using something as lame as pants to keep in touch as the girls traveled abroad :) (Rachel)

8. Eva by Peter Dickinson- This is one that I was introduced to in a class in college somewhere along the way (perhaps in Animals in Literature.) Anyway, the cover is rather blah and bizarre in my opinion...the book is wonderful! A very clever syfy book that was way ahead of it's time! Eva wakes up in the hospital and is told by her mother she's been in a terrible car accident and a long coma...but even though she's being told she's healing fine...she just doesn't feel right. What aren't they telling her? I always booktalk this one to kids and they love it once they try it. (Ange)

9. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton- I know, I know! I've used this one before, but it's the book that started my love affair with fantasy fiction. I was in fifth grade and liked to read, but wasn't all that into it when my teacher handed me this book. The blue cover with a boy and a clockwork dog made me paste a fake smile on my face and thank the teacher, figuring I'd deceived her with my fake enthusiasm-I liked to please my teachers. I wasn't going to read it but felt obligated-the teacher-pleaser part of me-so I started to read it and immediately became engrossed with this bored boy who needed something to do. He gets a play-tollbooth and car, and as soon as he cruises through the tollbooth he's in a magical land, on a magical adventure. It's the word-play in this book that hooked me in 5th grade and is still why I re-read it today. Good thing I didn't stop at the fake smile and never read it! (Rachel)

10. Laika by Nick Abadzis- Ok, this cover is just plain blick for me. Plus, why would I want to read a story about a dog which I already know the ending to!? BUT, I was SO wrong! This still remains my favorite graphic novel I've read so far. It's beautiful, has so much depth in it's many-layered-story and just grabs a hold of you and doesn't let go. Warning: I cried and cried. The icky kind where you're just a wreck! Laika is the dog that the Soviet's sent up into space and there is just SO much that Nick brings into the story that I NEVER would have thought of or imagined had I not read this. It's a WOW...plus it's based-on-facts from history. (Ange)



What's on your Top 10 this week?

8 comments:

  1. My son raved about Phantom Tollbooth for years before I finally gave in and read it. Wow. I couldn't believe what a great story it was! Now I trust my sons to lead me to good books!

    Here's my
    Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Were Deceiving.
    I'd love to have you stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eragon wasn't on my list, but I totally agree. I'd heard so many good things, but I really just couldn't get into it! Glad someone else felt the same way!

    Great list!

    Tara @ Hey, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have picked up Speak either if it weren't for the massive Twitter campagin. The cover and title didn't interest me at all but I'm so glad I did. It's a fab book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've wanted to read Eragon, but I'm afraid I won't like it. They are huge books and sometimes it's just a bunch of fluff in there to take up space. I hate that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen Twilight on a few lists and I never thought about the covers before but I agree- not very vampire-esque! More sin and religion imagery really! I need to read Speak- looks awesome.

    My TTT: http://www.pocketfulofbooks.com/2012/04/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-were-totally.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I actually love the cover of Speak, and now that you've said it's so good I'll definitely have to read it. New follower via GFC :)

    http://ajarndtbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! We love new followers! Hope you like Speak...years from now it will be a classic!

      Delete
  7. Hi! Found you through the IBBA awards nominees for YA on Goodreads! :) thought I'd make some new friends while trying to win votes in the Adult Fiction category! :) I'm now following your blog and I hope you will consider following mine (and voting for me in the Fiction category if you haven't already voted for someone else): http://authorjess.blogspot.com/2012/04/grand-opening-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete