Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by the team over at Broke and the Bookish! Leave a link to your Top 10 below!
Top 10 All-time Favorite Characters In Books...
1. Anne Elliot in Persuasion by Jane Austen- Loved, loved, loved Anne Elliot. She is a strong but cautious main character who, as a young lady, allowed her decisions to be influenced by the adults around her. Their story takes place eight years after she allowed herself to be persuaded against marriage to a young and not wealthy naval officer. Unexpectedly, her would-have-been husband returns as a wealthy naval captain at a time that her crazy family has declined in wealth. She has always regretted her decision and has a second chance at love with the Captain, but there is anger and misunderstandings to first overcome. -Rachel
2. Finley Jayne of The Steampunk Chronicles by Kady Cross- If you still haven't read these...what are you waiting for!? She is the ultimate kick-butt character with amazing clothes in an amazing world with a kick-butt posse. Ok the word posse is weird, but the group of friends that she ends up surrounding herself with are just as awesome as she is. Finley starts out as a maid working in rich households of the upper-crust on London. That is until a sadistic, rich and privileged son of her then current boss attacks her in a hallway and the other half she's been trying to hide, that's been coming out more and more, bursts forward and takes care of matters for her and for every woman he's ever violated. Of course this means she certainly needs a new job, but fortunately as she's running away from the scene of the crime she is almost run over by her future...you'll see! Read it! Amazing adventure and fabulous connections to all the old classic horror and syfy books from the past. -Ange
3. Andrew "Ender" Wiggin in Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card- Ender, a brilliant young boy, is recruited to the Battle School (outer space!) in order to fight the Buggers. He may just turn out to be the genius we need to save Earth. This is a fast-paced, heart-wrenching story that will suck you in and spit you out all because of Ender. When I read this book, I became deeply connected to Ender and the struggles he faced away from home, in training and against the bullies and crazy adults in the story-AND keep this in mind, I was 25 when I first read it! :) -Rachel
4. Katarina Bishop of The Heist Society by Ally Carter- When Katerina was 3, her parents took her to the Louvre...to case it! This is Katerina's childhood, one con after the other. We meet her when she's just pulled off the best con ever at age 15 by scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country while hoping to leave her family's business behind her forever. Sadly her former-partner-in-crime has taken it upon himself to show her how wrong she is about "going straight." Kat's life is an amazing adventure one after another! I can't wait for the next book in the series! -Ange
5. Heather Wells in Size 12 Is Not Fat by Meg Cabot- Okay, I have read a bazillion Meg Cabot books (love her!) and, as is true in most her stories, this main character has flaws and issues and will crack you up! Heather was a pop-idol when she was younger but has lost her fame and money due to the fact that her mother ran off to Argentina with all her money. Now older, and somewhat wiser ;) Heather is working as an assistant dorm director, trying to convince herself that her size and her career are on track. But then a murder occurs at the dorm and Heather ends up getting caught up in all the action. Fun main character- AND there are 3 books in the series (soon to be 4!) -Rachel
6. Fire in Fire by Kristin Cashore- Fire lives in a world of monsters who come in the brightest and most mesmerizing of colors. Birds, raptors, wolves, mice, cats, bugs and even people can be monsters. All of the monsters, even Fire, on some level can control the minds of the people and animals around them whether they want to or not, which can earn them their instant scorn or obsession. Fire wants nothing more than to NOT be anything like her father was...the things he did hunt her and keep her from living life. Unfortunately, her home of the Dells is a mess and she is asked to get involved. This book grabs a hold of you and doesn't let go until the end. -Ange
7. Kami Glass of Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan- Kami is a new character I met only a month or so ago, but she is going to be in a series and since I loved her in the first book I can't wait to get to know her better. She is smart and witty, but she also can take care of herself in a world turned upside down. I suggest you meet her! ASAP! :) -Rachel
8. Beka Cooper of Tortall and the Beka Cooper Series by Tamora Pierce- Beka's a rookie with the Provost's Guard and has been assigned to the Lower City. The toughest beat in the city, and it's about to get tougher. Beka soon learns that her "special" talents which allow her to gleam things from the dead are just what the is needed to help reign in the Lower City. I love Beka Cooper, she's tough, she's soft, she's blessed. These books are beasts with over 500 pages each, but you don't even notice once you've been pulled into Beka's life. She is just so perfectly written. I will always have a soft spot for these books. -Ange
9. Aislinn in Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr- She can see faeries! How cool is that--or maybe just DANGEROUS! Again this is the first book in a series, so you can get to know Aislinn very well as you follow her on her adventure. (There are many other cool and interesting characters in this series that you'd probably enjoy getting to know too.) -Rachel
10. Leslie in Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr- I loved that we both picked characters from one series! That, in my opinion, just shows what an amazing writer Melissa Marr is; each book is so different in the series! Leslie has seen the darkest parts of life and experienced some of the darkest the world has to offer. The darkness was so real that Leslie was dealing with. Leslie is one of Ash's friends and therefore is protected like Ash is. Niall has been The Summer King's right-hand for centuries, and is asked to guard her on a regular basis. Unfortunately Irial, The King of the Dark Court, has set his sights on Leslie...and Niall may have to intervene. The problem is that Niall doesn't dare let Leslie touch him. His touch is addictive and can drive a human to insanity. Leslie is one of those characters that I hold a special place in my heart for. Love her. -Ange
Here's the whole Wicked Lovely Series...
What's on your Top 10 this week?