Saturday, May 5, 2012

Review: Blackout by John Rocco

Blackout 
Author & Illustrator: John Rocco
Release date: May 24, 2011
Published by: Hyperion Books
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


In the city where everyone is busy, busy, busy...something terrible happens...a BLACKOUT! Oh no! Now what will these busy, busy people do?


My 7-year-old's thoughts: It was good. My favorite part was when they went upstairs and onto the roof. When they got up there they saw the lights and people! Those two pages were the best. I want to take this to my class and read it to them now!


My thoughts: What a fun story! I love the idea of "turning it all off" and just hanging out together. We've been doing that more and more at night. We won't even turn on the TV some nights, will sit down in our chairs or go outside for the entire evening, and read or just plain hang out together. I love evenings like this! The two pages my daughter loved are my favorites too when they emerge onto the rooftop and look up at the amazing night sky with all of its gorgeous stars! Then they look around and see tons of other people have done the same thing and wave to them! How fun is that!? The illustrations were a bit different from others, which I liked. I especially liked that some pages had a "graphic" feel to them with many pictures and others were full pages of wonder. There's no wondering about why this was awarded the Caldecott Medal of Honor!

No comments:

Post a Comment