Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by the team over at Broke and the Bookish! Leave a link to your Top 10 below!
Our Top 10 Favorite Quotes from Books...
1. "Did my heart love till now? Forswear it sight, for I ne'er saw true beauty till this night." ~William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet. -I love the passion behind these words of Romeo's; even though, I am very aware that this statement of love is based on the most shallow ideal. ~Rachel
2. "You have brains in your head . You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any directions you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."~Dr. Suess, Oh the Places You'll Go! - This book is pure brilliance in my opinion. Perfect for little bittys to retirees who are taking a big step in their life in some way. I tend to buy a copy of this and write a lengthy note inside to a special student for graduation each year. It's just classic! ~Ange
3. "We certainly do not forget you, so soon as you forget us. It is, perhaps, our fate rather than our merit. We cannot help ourselves. We live at home, quiet, confined and our feelings prey upon us. You are forced on exertion. You have always a profession, pursuits, business of some sort or other, to take you back into the world immediately, and continual occupation and change soon weaken impressions." ~Anne Elliot to Captain Harville, Jane Austen, Persuasion. - Love this conversation between Anne and Capt. Harville because it is the moment that allows Anne to unwittingly reveal her feelings, opinions, and fears to Capt. Wentworth, also in the room with them. I also love Austen's commentary on women's feelings as they are stuck in a domestic setting versus the feelings of men who escape into their public world. ~Rachel
4. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." ~J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. - Are you kidding me!? Do I need to explain why this is brilliant? I will probably get this permanently added to my body at some point in life, that's how much I love this quote! ~Ange
5. "I'd never given much thought to how I would die-though I'd had reason enough in the last few months-but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this." Bella in the preface of Stephanie Meyer's Twilight. - These words are the reason I picked up the book and kept reading after my students insisted I should. If Meyer hadn't started the book with these words, I might have given this vampire romance a pass, but the anticipation and suspense created in just those few words pulled me in and didn't let me go. ~Rachel
6. "Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly." ~Cornelia Funke, Inkheart -This book about the love, magic, care and ultimately power of books and their written words or spoken words is gorgeous and has so many wonderful quotes about books. This is just one of the many beautiful things Funke wrote. Love this. ~Ange
7. Milo and the watchdog in Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth: The watchdog asks Milo what he's doing in the Doldrums and Milo responds, "Just killing time." - As you can imagine the watchdog has trouble with this idea. Actually, if you haven't read the book you wouldn't know why this line makes me giggle every time. Juster's punny lines and word play are the best! Here's why-the watchdog is ACTUALLY a dog with a built-in watch who keeps track of time!
8. "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then." ~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland. -Alice and her adventures are a heavenly fantasy that you dive head first into and don't emerge from until you have been squeezed, befuddled and split-apart so many times you just ache with it all. It is truly "Curiouser and curiouser"! And in my house, we practically live by this as much as we possibly can. Remember: "Why sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." Oh Alice how we love you! ~Ange
9. "free, like a bird winging up into the air" ~Lauren Oliver, Delirium -this quote says it all for me. Such a brilliant book!~Ange
10. "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it." ~Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird. -This is truly one of the best novels ever written. It's classic, it's sadness, it's powerful...it's everything a book should be. This is always at the TOP of my "MUST READ" list whenever I make one, suggest one, etc. Absolutely classic. ~Ange11. (That's right, I'm cheating!) "Sometimes love means letting go when you want to hold on tighter." ~Melissa Marr, Ink Exchange -I couldn't not have this one! Are you kidding me! This is why I love this book SO much. It's so raw and dark...achingly so. Brilliant Marr, truly brilliant! ~Ange
What's on your Top 10 this week?