Monday, June 18, 2012

Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Everneath 
Author: Brodi Ashton
Release date: January 24, 2012 
Published by: HarperCollins/Balzer+Bray
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Beautiful, powerful, emotional, love, and darkness: these are the words that come to mind when I think about this story.


At the start of the story, Nikki returns home from the Everneath or Underworld, as some people know it. She has spent 100 years down there connected to Cole, an Everliving. However, on the surface, only months have passed, but her disappearance has caused the heartbreak of her true love and the heartache of her father and brother.


Now that she is back, she is embroiled in a love triangle. Jack loved (and still loves) Nikki; he is the one she remembers after 100 years of nothingness. On the other hand, Cole needs Nikki; she has become a part of him after 100 years, and she is his ticket to the throne. But there is a time limit to Nikki’s decision-making—6 months until the Everneath claims her again.


Will Nikki find a way to remain on the surface and keep her love everlasting? Will Cole convince her of the power of the Everliving? Or… Will time and the shades of the Everneath reclaim her in the end?


I love the emotional depth of this story. It is a haunting tale of love and beyond. The Everneath isn’t just the place you go when you die; it is a place to escape the pain of love, but also a place to sacrifice for love.


When I read the jacket flap to find out what the story was about (the cover picture led me to pick it up at the book store), I was intrigued because it claimed to be a retelling of the Persephone myth. I bought it because I love when authors play with classic tales. However, this story is much more than a retelling of the myth. Brodi Ashton creates a whole new twist on how the Underworld/Everneath works.


I also, shockingly enough, enjoyed the love triangle element. Often, I avoid books with this because it becomes too shallow and angst-y. However, in this story, Nikki knows which one she truly loves; she’s just not sure if she should show it and involve him in her new problems with Cole and the Everneath.


I keep typing things and then realize I’m giving too much away(!), so I’m just going to stop here with my review and tell you that if you enjoy stories with broken characters who struggle to find their place and reclaim parts of themselves (literally and figuratively), then you will love this story.

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. lol ikr/ it's hard not to spoil things
    i loved this book
    i can't wait for everbound
    gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everbound is such a neat title, too. Could be referring to Nikki's relationship with either Jack or Cole! Can't wait to see what happens next:)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this one yet, but I really want to. I've heard so many good things about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pick it up and put it on your shelf for TBR. You won't be disappointed!

      Delete