Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday #21 - Seraphina and When We Wake


"Waiting On Wednesday" is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. Be sure to post a link to your Waiting on Wednesday below!


This week's pre-publication "We can't wait to read it!" selections are...

Author: Rachel Hartman
Release Date: July 10, 2012
Published by: Random House Children's Books

Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.
Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered - in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life. (Summary from Goodreads)

This sounds like a beautiful coming-of-age story set in a fantastical world. I love stories with dragons, and this one has an added edge of danger--sweet!


Author: Karen Healey
Release Date: March 5, 2013
Published by: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

My name is Tegan Oglietti, and on the last day of my first lifetime, I was so, so happy.
Sixteen-year-old Tegan is just like every other girl living in 2027-she's happiest when playing the quitar, she's falling in love for the first time, and she's joining her friends to protest the wrongs of the world: environmental collapse, social discrimination, and political injustice.
But on what should have been the best day of Tegan's life, she dies-and wakes up a hundred years in the future, locked in a government facility with no idea what happened.
Tegan is the first government guinea pig to be cryonically frozen and successfully revived, which makes her an instant celebrity-even though all she wants to do is try to rebuild some semblance of a normal life. But the future isn't all she hoped it would be, and when appalling secrets come to light, Tegan must make a choice: Does she keep her head down and survive, or fight for a better future? (Summary from Goodreads)

This one sounds Syfy fabulous! I can't wait for this one! Makes me think of that Stallone movie Demolition Man which I loved for some reason.  

What are you waiting on this week?

13 comments:

  1. wow, both sound really good, I am putting on my TBR list, think one of them is already. :) Here is my WoW Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we wake sounds pretty good (:

    Happy Reading! :)
    Check out my WoW Post :)
    Tabby @Insightful Minds & IM Design Studio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both sounds great! I am especially excited about When We Wake.

    My WoW, http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/waiting-on-wednesday-dark-light-by-sara.html

    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited to read Seraphina. And When We Wake sounds really interesting. Awesome picks! :D

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! When We Wake sounds so, so, SO good! One of my friends scored an ARC of this and is actually _waiting_ to read it ::dies:: I may sneak into her house and ste- er, borrow it from her ;-)

    Seraphina sounds like a read my niece and nephews will love. I'll have to buy it for them when it comes out.

    Great picks, ladies! Thanks for stopping by BlookGirl earlier :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my WOW. I really like the When we Wake cover.

    Yara @ Once Upon a Twilight.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both sounds really good. I've seen them around a few blogs today.

    Shortskie's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  8. They both sound like very interesting choices, enjoy!

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/06/waiting-on-wednesday_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both look very good. Personally I really want to read Seraphina! :D
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ~new GFC follower~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard of When We Wake before, but that one is going on my TBR for sure! The cover is really pretty, and the concept sounds totally awesome. Now I'm excited to read it!! Great picks. =)

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would like the second pick better but both look good.
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete