Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday #24 - The Wishing Spell & Something Strange and Deadly

"Waiting On Wednesday" is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. Be sure to post a link to your Waiting on Wednesday below!


This week's pre-publication "We can't wait to read it!" selections are...

(The Land of Stories, Book 1)
 Author: Chris Colfer
Illustrator: Brandon Dorman
Release Date: July 17, 2012
Published by: Little, Brown Young Readers

Alex and Conner Bailey's world is about to change, in this fast-paced adventure that uniquely combines our modern day world with the enchanting realm of classic fairytales.
The Land of Stories tells the tale of twins Alex and Conner. Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, they leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about. 
But after a series of encounters with witches, wolves, goblins and trolls alike, getting back home is going to be harder than they thought. (Summary from Goodreads)

I love any story that involves travel into another world and a story within a story. If you follow Libby Blog, you've probably noted my love of Phantom Tollbooth, but I also like Narnia and The Neverending Story and Princess Bride. I think this sounds like a sweet and adventurous story. It's now on my TBR!


 Author: Susan Dennard
Release Date: July 24, 2012 (SO soon!)
Published by: HarperTeen

The year is 1876, and there's something strange and deadly loose in Philedelphia...
Eleanor Fitt has a lot to worry about. Her brother has gone missing, her family has fallen on hard time, and her mother is determined to marry her off to any rich young man who walk by. But this is nothing compared to what she's just read in the newspaper--
The Dead are rising in Philadelphia.
And then, in a frightening attack, a zombie delivers a letter to Eleanor...from her brother.
Whoever is controlling the Dead army has taken her brother as well. If Eleanor is going to find him, she'll have to venture into the lab of the notorious Spirit-Hunters, who protect the city from supernatural forces. But as Eleanor spends more time with the Spirit-Hunters, including their maddeningly stubborn yet handsome inventor, Daniel, the situation becomes dire. And now, not only is her reputation on the line, but her very life may hang in the balance. (Summary from Goodreads)

I love the city, the time period, the zombies, and especially the idea of a girl who just supposed to get married of course instead joining a group of Spirit-Hunters!! This is right up my alley and that cover is off the charts! Has anyone already read it as an ARC? If so, how was it?

What are you waiting on this week?

7 comments:

  1. The Land of Stories looks really cute.
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks! I've read Something Strange and Deadly and thought it was pretty good. I hope you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Great picks! I've wanted The Land of Stories ever since I read all the hubbub from BEA. I love that it was written by a Glee castmember ;-)

    I was fortunate enough to win the GoodReads First Reads for Something Strange & Deadly and I hope it will arrive soon. I love that cover and the premise!

    Thanks for stopping by BlookGirl earlier <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I like Something Strange and Deadly. Gosh, I haven't read an arc of it, but I can't wait for the release!

    Check out what I'm waiting on

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picks! Both books sound really good. I like the cover of Something Strange and Deadly. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These books do sound interesting!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Dani
    http://paulettespapers.com/?p=2210

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Wishing Spell sounds like something I'd enjoy and can share with my younger brother and cousin. I've read Something Strange and Deadly and thought it was pretty good though not amazing.

    ReplyDelete