Monday, August 13, 2012

Review: Anything But Ordinary by Lara Avery

Anything But Ordinary 
Author: Lara Avery
Release date: September 11, 2012
Published by: Hyperion Book CH
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Bryce wakes up from a coma at the start of this story. What she realizes very shortly after waking is that she has been gone for five years, and her world has changed. Her adorable, sweet 12-year-old sister is now a harsh, biting 17 year old. Her loving parents are now emotionally distant from each other. The home she knew like the back of her hand has been transformed into a space she barely recognizes. And the icing on top is that her boyfriend and her best friend are now engaged to be married.

Bryce must navigate this new world after her miraculous recovery, while her doctors, including one handsome one named Carter, puzzle and worry about her rapid changes. Bryce is a little concerned, too, but refuses to tell the doctors about the headaches she gets that spark memories from the past and from the future.

My thoughts: This was an enjoyable read because I found it interesting to think about how the world would look to me if I had been out of it for five years. Bryce’s reaction to what she feels is betrayal by her best friend and boyfriend takes center stage for a large part of the story. It felt believable, but I also wished more time had been spent on the sister relationship. I have to admit, the tug-of-war between her head (telling her to let Greg, the old boyfriend, go) and her heart (telling her to hold on to Greg) got a little old; however, it did showcase the struggle to realize that for 5 years the people around her grew and changed while she still saw them as they were five years ago.

I will tell you there is a sweet romance that appears a little later in the story and a bit of a twist at the end. Though the ending is why I am not completely satisfied with the story. I think it just happened too quickly after the twist—I know that seems cryptic but I can’t give you details or I’ll spoil the story. Even with a slightly unsatisfactory ending, the story is still worth the read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment