Sunday, August 12, 2012

Review: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys 
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Release date: September 18, 2012
Published by: Scholastic, Inc.
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve," Neeve said. "Either you're his true love...or you killed him."

This is what Blue is told after she sees a soon-to-be-dead spirit of a teenage Aglionby Raven boy. You see there has always been one truth in Blue's life...she is destined to kill the one true-love who she kisses. Gansey is committed to being the one to find the ancient lost Welsh King Glendower he believes is buried along the ley lines of Virginia sleeping until someone awakens him. Join Blue and Gansey as their two worlds crash together on an epic journey to find what is lost...

My thoughts: Boy was this different and SOOOO good, in an epic way! I felt like I had been on an epic journey of trials when I was done reading it. BUT, I also feel like I was seriously left hanging and now desperately must get my hands on the next book which is more than likely forever away! Grrr! Don't get me wrong, this book is AMAZING and I couldn't believe it was as long as it was because I didn't notice it at all while reading. Here's the truth of it = it was so good that I literally read it while sitting in a tattoo chair getting a large-ish shoulder & neck piece done! That's how good it was! I couldn't even put it down for epic pain.

I am truly hoping that the cover on the ARC that I read is the finished cover for the book, because it is gorgeous and swirly and iridescent and I adore it completely! AND, that symbol is mesmerizing to me. I think I want it on my skin. There's just something about it.

The fabulous characters in this book really made the book for me! There are two main characters who then have their own "groups" of characters who are always in their lives. Blue is an only child in a house full of psychic women trudging through life as the only person in her "family" who doesn't have a real gift, while Gansey is from old Virginia money, attends a private school and can hire a helicopter at a moments notice. They both have one thing in common though, a group of people who would do anything to help them, save them or love them no matter what. Blue's "family" was my favorite with their bizarre conversations as each woman finished the other's comments. Gansey's crew of Aglionby Raven Boys in different levels of broken pull you in and make you desperate to be a part of their rag-tag group. Oh to be a part of one of these groups!!! And then, when the 2 groups crash together...WHOA! Watch out Henrietta, Virginia, because something wicked this way comes...

Final thoughts: I think this is officially my absolute favorite Maggie Stiefvater book I've read so far! I can't wait for the next one in this series so I can follow along Blue, Gansey and the rest of the gang on their epic search for the lost Welsh King Glendower.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment