Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday #28 - Cursed and Survive

"Waiting On Wednesday" is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. Be sure to post a link to your Waiting on Wednesday below!


This week's pre-publication "We can't wait to read it!" selections are...

Release Date: September 18, 2012
Published by: Spencer Hill Press

Dying sucks--and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.
Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he's a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she's more than interested. There's just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out. However, she's willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't?
But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not've been an accident at all, she's not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the close she is to losing not only her heart, but her life. For real this time. (Summary from Goodreads)

This one looks really good and creepy. How sad would it be not to be able to touch anyone because your touch kills? Yikes!


Survive  
Author: Alex Morel
Release Date: August 22, 2012
Published by: Razorbill

Jane is on a plane on her way home to Montclair, New Jersey, from a mental hospital. She is about to kill herself. Just before she can swallow a lethal dose of pills, the plane hits turbulence and everything goes black. Jane wakes up amid piles of wreckage and charred bodies on a snowy mountaintop. There is only one other survivor: a boy named Paul, who inspires Jane to want to fight for her life for the first time.
Jane and Paul scale icy slopes and huddle together for warmth at night, forging an intense emotional bond. But the wilderness is a vast and lethal force, and only one of them will survive. (Summary from Goodreads)

I love the concept of going from being so completely damaged that she wants to end it all even though she's just returning from a time in a mental hospital to being in a situation which completely flips the switch to survival mode in the most extreme of situations. This is definitely one to watch for I think! I especially think my students would really be into this book.

What are you waiting on this week?

16 comments:

  1. Great picks! I really enjoyed Cursed, I hope you do as well :)

    My WoW - http://obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/waiting-on-wednesday-8th-august.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to read anything by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I have Obsidian sitting on my TBR pile, but it hasn't made it to the top yet. Cursed looks really good and I can't wait to start reading all her books. Thanks! New Follower :) Check out my WoW
    -Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already heard some great things about Cursed :) I don't really like the cover of Survive, but I like the promise.

    My WoW pick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both your picks sound absolutely amazing girls. I'm going to add both books to my to-read list and hopefully I'll get a chance to read them soon. I hope you both enjoy your picks when you get a chance to read them.
    Here's my WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! They are both great sounding books! Can't wait to get my hands on them. :)

      Delete
  5. These both look great! I have had my eye on them for a while now : )

    My WOW and international giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curse is def on my list too. Great picks. Here's my WOW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome picks! I can't wait to read either of these. I have yet to read a Jennifer L. Armentrout novel and I can't wait to start. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to Cursed, too! I mean JLA could write anything and I'll read it! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choices! Cursed is definitely on my Wish List, and believe it or not, may actually be my first JLA novel! I don't know why I've never read anything of hers, but I certainly will soon!

    I read Survive a week or so ago and really enjoyed it. I hope you do, too! (Did you enter my giveaway? http://www.blookgirl.com/book-blog/220-survive-by-alex-morel-review-live-interview-and-giveaway)

    Happy reading, ladies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cursed was an amazing read. I haven't heard of Survive, but it sounds interesting.

    Thanks for stopping by
    @ Livin' Life Through Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice picks! Survive sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great picks! I really want to read both of these! Thanks for stopping by my WoW, and have a great week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay the first one a definite YES!! It sounds phenomenal! The second, no, only because they don't both survive. Why would they tell us that in the summary? That sucks! Unless Paul isn't really human. I mean it's like watching The Titanic, you know what's going to happen at the end. I think they shouldn't have told what happened in the Goodreads summary! Otherwise, absolutely yes!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like both books and can't wait to get my hands on them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both are such awesome picks! I picked Survive way back too. Looks great! Thanks for dropping by!
    ------
    Giselle from booknerd.ca
    Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete