Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday #29 - The Lost Girl and Alice in Zombieland

"Waiting On Wednesday" is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating. Be sure to post a link to your Waiting on Wednesday below!


This week's pre-publication "We can't wait to read it!" selections are...

 Author: Sangu Mandanna
Release Date: August 28, 2012
Published by: HarperCollins

Eva's life is not her own. She is a creation, an abomination--an echo. Made by the Weavers as a copy of someone else, she is expected to replace a girl names Amarra, her "other", if she ever died. Eva studies what Amarra does, what she eats, what it's like to kiss her boyfriend, Ray. So when Amarra is killed in a car crash, Eva should be ready.
But fifteen years of studying never prepared her for this.
Now she must abandon everything she's ever known--the guardians who raised her, the boy she's forbidden to love--to move to India and convince the world that Amarra is still alive.
What Eva finds is a grief-stricken family; parents unsure how to handle this echo they thought they wanted; and Ray, who knew every detail, every encounter of Amarra. And when Eva is unexpectedly dealt a fatal blow that will change her existence forever, she is forced to choose: Stay and live out her years as a copy or leave and risk it all for the freedom to be original. To be Eva. (Summary from Goodreads)

I'm interested in this because I want to know why the family chooses to get a copy of their daughter. I think it's an interesting idea--a way to delay grief? I want to read it and see what Eva does!


 Author: Gena Showalter
Release Date: September 25, 2012
Published by: Harlequin Teen

She won't rest until she's sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that's all it tool. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone. 
 Her father was right. The monsters are real...
To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn't careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies...

I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
I'd tell my sister no.
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
I'd tell them I love them.
I wish...Yeah, I wish. 
(Summary from Goodreads)

This description reminds me of the Alice who fights the Umbrella Corporation in the Resident Evil movies! I love those! I have no idea why, because I don't watch "scary" movies but those I just love! I think it's the main character and how kick-butt she is! I'm hoping that this book will be the same way! Plus, I love the tagline on the amazing cover of the book "Off with their heads"! 

What are you waiting on this week?

9 comments:

  1. I'm definitely looking forward to reading both of these, though I want to read the original Alice in Wonderland before Zombieland (I can't believe I've never read it!). And the covers on both books are so pretty! :) Great picks!

    My WoW

    Randi @ Cardigans, Coffee and Bookmarks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original is one of my favorite classics. It's utterly bizarre and fun. I hope you like it! Btw it's free online at goodreads in the ebooks section!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait for both of these but Alice in Zombieland looks like it is going to be awesome. I haven't read the classic either; isn't that awful? I have it sitting in my room, but haven't picked it up yet. Great picks this week! Happy reading!

    My WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes - I'm looking forward to reading those too. And I love the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks! I've heard Lost Girl is really good. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED The Lost Girl! And I m so excited for Alice in Zombieland! I love zombies and it sounds kick butt. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome choices! I really want to read both of these as well. The Lost Girl sounds REALLY good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent choices! I cannot wait for Alice.... and Lost Girl sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete