Monday, October 15, 2012

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout

Obsidian 
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux, Book 1
Release date: May 8, 2012
Published by: Entangled Teen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Katy moves to a small Virginia town just a few short weeks before school starts. The move is meant to put some distance between the death of her dad and her everyday life. Katy isn’t really sure she’s happy about the move, but since it’s what her mom wants, she has to go with it.

So when she knocks on her neighbors’ door and finds herself facing the hottest guy imaginable, she can barely contain her admiration and, unfortunately, stumbles all over herself. Thankfully, he’s a bit of a jerk, which allows Katy to get over her surprise. However, she does get to know Dee, the twin sister to the hot-but-rude neighbor, Daemon, and Dee and Katy quickly become close friends.

But there is something Katy doesn’t know about her neighbors, and things turn from normal to strange as Katy is “marked” by Daemon and draws the attention of some bad people...or should I say aliens? It turns out that Daemon and Dee are not from planet Earth, and now Katy is involved in something that no one in her right mind would believe. Soon, danger and attraction pull Daemon and Katy closer together, but will the darkness they face pull them apart instead?

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this first novel in Armentrout’s Lux series. In the beginning, I had a sense of dejavu in connection to the Twilight series. In fact, there is a line where Katy guesses Daemon is a vampire, and he just laughs—right?! How absurd, hehe. But then the aliens come into play and everything changes, at least it did for me.

At first I was worried that Katy would be a weak female lead because she is quiet and a bit of a loner, but then she turns into this sassy, take-no-prisoners girl when she is around Daemon and when she is facing danger. I did find Daemon a bit overbearing for a large part of the novel—wasn’t sure I’d ever come to like him, but, by the end, Armentrout won me over with some reasonable explanations for why Daemon had been acting like such a jerk. On the other hand, I love Dee. She is so desperate to make friends, to have a normal life, and when she puts Katy in danger because of who she is her guilt is heartbreaking.

I’ve never been a big alien, sci-fi fan, but in this story, aliens worked for me. I loved how the friendships developed and how the romance unfolded, and the action –adventure element added the fast-paced plot movement that I enjoy. I am looking forward to getting my hands on the next book in this series.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely adored this book! I agree Daemon was an ass but.. well he was a sexy one!

    ReplyDelete