Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Review: Belles by Jen Calonita

Belles 
Author: Jen Calonita
Series: Belles, Book 1
Release date: April 10, 2012
Published by: Poppy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Isabelle Scott’s life changes very quickly when she learns that her grandmother can no longer take care of her, so she must move in with the only relatives she has. But what this means for Izzie is moving from her comfortable, if slightly run-down, part of North Carolina to a her uncle’s house in Emerald Cove, an affluent neighborhood. It turns out that she’s related to a politically significant man and his family, which is going to take some getting used to.

Money, power, and secrets abound in this fast-paced, fun Cinderella story. I really enjoyed getting to know Izzie and her personality; I felt for her as she went through some growing pains as she worked to adjust to the wealth and attention her new family brings with them. Her cousin Mirabelle has trouble getting used to Izzie’s presence in her home and life, as well. It was interesting to read and see the girls realize that life isn’t perfect on either side of the fence—a theme of perception versus reality definitely played out within this story. This is especially true with a big secret reveal at the end, which I predicted before I started reading the story; however, that did not detract from the interest I had in how it was kept a secret for so long and how it all came about. Anyway, that’s all I can say without revealing too much.

If you’re interested in a rags-to-riches story with the craziness of high school thrown in, then you’ll enjoy this story as much as I did. I’m looking forward to reading the next book in the series, Winter White.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment