Sunday, November 25, 2012

Review: The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

The Mark of Athena 
Author: Rick Riordan
Series: Heroes of Olympus, Book 3
Release date: October 2, 2012
Published by: Disney Hyperion
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Rick Riordan has done it again! The Mark of Athena is the third installment in his Heroes of Olympus series which features heroes from both the Greek and Roman camps. In this story the seven Roman and Greek heroes who have been chosen to defeat Gaea join together for another heart-pounding adventure. This story focuses on their journey to Rome where they plan to rescue Nico and help Annabeth follow the Mark of Athena.

My Thoughts: While I loved this story as much as the first two, I have to say it slowed a little in the middle, but I think it had to do with the number of characters playing a role in this adventure. I’ve always loved Riordan’s choice to have each chapter told from the point of view of whichever character titled that chapter; however, upon reflection, I think that choice slowed down the action in this story because we had to get the thoughts and feelings of all the characters to understand their motivations and choices during the actual epic encounters at the end of the story.

But if a bit of foggy weather in the middle of the story is all I have to harp on, then you can bet that the rest of this story met my expectations: funny, sweet, and witty characters; mini-complications to overcome; major rockin’ monsters to defeat; and rip-roaring battles at the end—who could ask for anything more? And now I can’t wait to see what happens next as this team of heroes tries to close the Doors of Death in The House of Hades coming in 2013!
View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment