Saturday, March 2, 2013

Review: Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo

The Tale of Despereaux 
Author: Kate DiCamillo
Illustrator: Timothy Basil Ering
Release date: August 25, 2003
Published by: Candlewick Press
Award: Newbery Medal
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

A teeny, tiny mouse, a princess, and soup...that's right, soup! This is a tale that beings with Once Upon a Time...but may not follow exactly how you think it should reader. Just be patient though because you'll that just because are tiny may not mean that you cannot be a knight in shining armor. It may mean that you just need to do things differently then others and that can be ok too...so follow along as Despereaux Tilling takes you on an adventure like you've never been on before...

My thoughts: I read this one aloud with my daughters at bed-time in pieces each night and was really looking forward to it since it was a Newbery Winner. THIS is something as a Librarian I should know better be now, but just can't seem to yet! Grrr! Newbery's are THE MOST BIZARRE things! SO rarely are they anything anyone would select "normally"! They are weird! Bizarre! Dark! They fall into these very narrow categories for very few people who would like them and only get checked out in my libraries because teachers do assignments where they have their students literally check out a "Newbery Winner or Honor Book" This is something that makes me crazy! I honestly hate this! These books aren't books that folks like!!! Very few like them! Ok, I think I'm done now.....
Back to this one...we trudged through this one because my girls HAD to know what was going to happen to Princess Pea and little Despereaux Tilling of course! Now I completely understand that I was reading a book that was certainly a bit older level of a book but I didn't realize how "dark" it was going to be so quickly! WHAO! I almost stopped altogether with it! I mean YIKES! And DOUBLE YIKES! It's DARK! DARK!
Seriously Newbery committee!!!?? Who is ON this committee?

Final thoughts: I will NOT be reading this EVER again, BUT my daughters did stay engaged from beginning to end because of a princess and a tiny mouse...there must be something in that. (Ok, there MAY have been a crazy Librarian reading to them with VOICES, and ACCENTS, and LOTS OF CRAZY DRAMA!!!) :) Just sayin' ;)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment