Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Review: Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend by Louise Rozett

Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend 
Author: Louise Rozett
Series: Confessions, Book 2
Release date: June 18, 2013
Published by: Harlequin Teen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wow! I just finished reading Confessions #2 and I am still crazy about Rose Zarelli...and she was literally a little crazy in this story, too. It is her sophomore year and she is still figuring out how to deal with her anger and grief over her father’s death. She is trying to reinvent, or perhaps simply discover, who she really is and where she fits into the often confusing world of high school.

Jamie Forta, what to say about Jamie...Oh my and Oh no. The story starts with Rose telling us that Jamie hasn’t spoken to her since he sent her THE NOTE after he was arrested before prom last year. I’ve gotta tell you that was a bit of a bummer but not unexpected given Jamie’s history. In Confessions #2, he is still the mysterious yet desirable boy that Rose wants to be with but can’t because once he does start talking to her again, he takes her on a date and then says he can’t date her. For those of you wondering, this does not stop Rose and Jamie from having a few steamy kisses throughout the book!

Rose’s world of conflict explodes in this book. I have to admit that I was a little overwhelmed with the number of issues Rose seems to be dealing with at the start of this story. In Confessions #1 I was able to emotionally connect with Rose and feel happy, angry, and sad right along with her from the get-go (Heck, I cried with her several times!), but in Confessions #2 it took me a little longer to stop feeling like a reader just looking into Rose’s difficult life and start BEING Rose. Not that this made the story bad in any way; I guess I just expected to jump right into her character where I had left off feeling at the end of the first book...if that makes any sense.

Let me list some of these conflicts: Rose vs. her anger, Rose vs. her mom and the memorial website, Rose vs. her negative self-image, Rose vs. Peter and his distance, Peter vs. addiction, Rose vs. Jamie, Rose vs. Conrad, Conrad vs. Homophobia, Rose vs. Tracy, domestic abuse & dating abuse, violence, hazing, bullying & harassment...Whoo, my head is spinning. Eventually, I calmed down (and so did Rose) and started connecting with her again as she began dealing with some of these conflicts ;)

Speaking of the conflicts, I really enjoyed meeting a new Deladdo, Regina’s brother Conrad, and learning some background about the family because it helped me better understand Jamie’s NEED to help them. I also loved Rose’s epiphany about helping as she works through all the conflicts: “It’s always right to offer help, but not all help is right” (255). Well said, Rozett!

Also, while Rose struggled with various issues with her mom and Peter, I was happy in the end because I felt like all that struggle led to some family resolution and understanding as each character dealt differently with grief.

Another love = Tracy! With Matt out of her life, she rocks in this story. The cool twist she takes on her bullying moment is awesome. I also love Angelo because he’s just the rock that Rose needs in her life to help her when it’s spinning out of control. I even came to understand Regina a little better in this story--why she was/is a bully sometimes.

Anyway, I could talk and talk and talk about this sophomore edition to Rose’s story (obviously), so I’ll cut myself off and leave you with the knowledge that the ending is both satisfying--Rose is empowered--and anxiety producing--we’re left with another Jamie Forta cliffhanger! But I love it anyway because it just makes me excited to read about Rose’s junior year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment