Sunday, May 12, 2013

Review: The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson

The Summer Prince 
Author: Alaya Dawn Johnson
Release date: Arthur A. Levine/Scholastic
Published by: March 1, 2013
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

There are some absolute truths about The Summer King of no matter who he is...he is beautiful, carefree, and at the end of winter he must die.

In the future of Palmares Tres, a pyramid city of what was once Brazil, only women rule and they do it for hundreds of years because man is the one who has destroyed the world before. In the midst of the new Summer King being crowned little June Costa has grown up and is bound and determined to make sure her art is noticed no matter the cost!

What she didn't account for was Enki, the new Summer King, who the whole city falls in love with. Will she be able to resist the pull she feels towards him? What about the Queen's Art Competition? And what about her best friend Gil who just wants more than anything for her to be happy?

My thoughts: Whoa! This book made me cry and cry and cry! Get your tissues ready folks! I did feel it was rather predictable though which is why I only gave it 4 stars instead of 5, but I loved it! I still think about it all the time! I finished it well over a week ago and started a new book right away that I am still only on page 8 of because I just can't seem to move on from this one! Do you ever have that problem? Jeesh!

These characters were just SO FANTASTIC AND RAW! They were full of raw passion and emotion! To go along with that I will add in my old lady warning that there is a ton of sex & drinking in this book! TONS! Anybody and everybody enjoyed each other. There really weren't any lines in this book sexually which I thought was VERY refreshing honestly. :) Which I was fine with personally, but just thought I would share in case you needed to know for some reason personally or professionally.

This culture and society was just incredible! This is definitely an author I'd LOVE to hear speak about how she came up with this idea, how it all developed, etc. The world she created and place is amazing! Very basic dystopian in concept, but with a SERIOUSLY ORIGINAL TWIST!

Last thought: If you love dystopians and you are looking for something a bit different and steamy THIS IS FOR YOU! Grab it up immediately! WOW! My heart still aches from the ending!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment