Saturday, June 1, 2013

Armchair BEA Day 6: Children's Books...


This is my favorite genre of all! :) Why? Well I guess you could say this is my life! Or, at least what I've chosen my life to be. If you haven't read our "About Us" page then you may not know that I'm a LMC Director of 3 school libraries by day! Whew! I can never decide if I need a nap, or another cup of coffee after I say that to someone! :P My libraries are grades 6-12, but I also have little girls at home so picture books and now beginning chapter books are right up our alley as well. I also have picture books in all of my libraries too. They are beautiful pieces of artwork and can be used in so many different ways in curriculum. BUT, the coolest thing is that Middle Grade AND Young Adult BOTH fit into the Children's Book category which is what I really love the most! So basically my job is a win, win situation and blogging is a fun nighttime extension of that winning situation since the sad truth of my daytime job is that I literally NEVER have time to actually sit down and read. :( How sad is that!? 

Anyway, enough about me! Let's talk about BOOKS! Here are some of my absolute favorite favorites from this genre from the last year...

Author: Mac Barnett
Illustrator: Jon Klassen
Release date: January 17, 2012
Published by: Balzer & Bray

When a young child gets a gift of a box full of yarn they soon discover it isn't an ordinary box full of yarn. This is such a cool story of color and the power of using your creativity! LOVE IT! 


Author & Illustrator: Mo Willems
Release date: September 4, 2012
Published by Balzer & Bray

This is absolutely hilarious and adorable all at the same time! Plus it's Mo Willems! You HAVE to read it! It's a requirement! :) You can always read more Mo!



Author: Jane O'Connor
Illustrator: Robin Preiss Glasser
Release dates: 2012 & 2013
Published by: HarperCollins

Nancy Clancy is growing up and now has chapter books! Can you believe it!? My daughter Mallory is in 2nd grade and LOVING this new series!! She eats these up and begs for moer of them re-reading them on a regular basis! She even asks me if I've checked to see if the author has said anything about her next book yet! :P Like I'm going to be in "the know" on that somehow! I wish I could be for her, but alas I'm not! If you could hook us Mal would LOVE you forever and a day! :D



Author: Jane Yolen
Illustrator: Mike Cavallaro
Release dates: 2010 & 2013
Published by: First Second

Aliera Carstairs doesn't fit in anywhere but she's amazing at fencing! That's right...fencing! When her mom picks her up a new fencing blade at a 2nd hand store, everything changes when she begins to SEE a whole new world around her! These are pure fun and adventure from beginning to end!

   

Author: Carl Hiaasen
Release date: March 27, 2012
Published by: Knopf Books for Young Readers

Wahoo Cray lives the most incredible life with his father of an animal wrangler with gators, snakes, parrots, rats, monkeys and all kinds of animals! They get hired by folks to come and get then from where they don't belong and also to help with them in on the sets of movies and TV shows...they can handle the animals just fine, but the people are a totally different matter! :) 

This one is AWESOME as usual from Hiaasen! His books are always winners! Of course he's completely ruined reality animal shows for me now! :P

Now, YA Lit is what I read the most so I'm just going to give you covers and a list of titles with links to Goodreads of my current "Best of the Best List" which is ever changing but some of these never leave the list once they make it on the list for me and I'm sure I'll miss some by c'est la vie...
Also Known As by Robin Benway
Beka Cooper: Terrier by Tamora Pierce
Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber
Dark Life by Kat Falls
Delirium by Lauren Oliver
The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver
Die for Me by Amy Plum
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Fire by Kristin Cashore
The Friday Society by Adrienne Kress
The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges
The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross
Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
Heist Society by Ally Carter
Hourglass by Myra McEntire
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr
Insignia by S.J. Kincaid
The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney
Nali by Esther Henry
Orleans by Sherri L. Smith
Partials by Dan Wells
Perception by Lee Strauss
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
The Roar by Emma Clayton
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Splintered by A.G. Howard
The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong
Starters by Lissa Price
Storm by Brigid Kemmerer
The Thirteeth Child by Patricia Wrede
Velveteen by Daniel Marks
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson



What about you? Do read Children's Books? Why? 

4 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read extra yarn for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, you have so many good books listed here! I added a couple to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter and I went to a garage sale years ago and the lady there sold a huge box of children's books for a couple of dollars. My granddaughter was in Heaven as she is a reader. Good thing as she is now studying to be a doctor.
    I recently re-read Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read YA mostly. I was a high school teacher and then a teen librarian for awhile. But now I work with adults and I have no excuse for reading YA except it's awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete