Monday, June 17, 2013

Review: Spark & Spirit by Brigid Kemmerer

Spark 
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Series: Elementals, Book 2
Release date: August 28, 2012
Published by: KensingtonTeen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Fiery Gabriel Merrick can literally control fire, well sometimes it controls him. He's always relied on his twin Nick though, but when an arsonist starts attacking homes in their community and everyone suspects Gabriel. Even those closest to him to the point that he becomes completely isolated from everyone he loves most. Everyone except the shy, but exceptionally smart Layne who seems to also be hiding secrets of her own. Will they be able to save each other? Or will it be too late?

My thoughts: I LOVED THIS! I lOVED GABRIEL! I LOVED LAYNE! Seriously...this was just perfection for me. Layne, Gabriel, her brother, his brothers, everyone played their parts so perfectly in this one. 
I especially liked the relationship between Gabriel and Hunter who are both really outsiders. Neither one truly fits in completely, or at least neither one allows themselves to feel as though they do, and they strike up this fantastic almost best friendship for a time which is just fantastic. 
I also loved the specific character of Layne's brother, Simon, who is deaf, tough, and just a great kid who insists on going to public school even though they treat him like crap! Her depiction of the brutality at the hands of bullies and even his sister's by the "mean girls" is SO REAL and AWFUL! Brigid is just SO good at making me hate these local kids!! SO GOOD AT MAKING ME HATE THEM! I want to reach through the pages at destroy them! Seriously! Grrr! They are evil!! Ok, I'll reign it in. :P


Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Series: Elementals, Book 3
Release date: May 28, 2013
Published by: KensingtonTeen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Hunter was raised to be tough, to learn the hard way, that his abilities have a price...but then he's lost it all over and over again. He can't seem to let anyone close to him because they just get hurt. When his grandfather believes he actually hit a girl at school he throws him out of the house while his mother just watches, then the scheming Calla works at turning everyone else against him at school, while the new girl Kate works another angle...as his powers grow and so do his secrets will he be able to hold it all together? Will he be able to find anyone to trust?

My thoughts: This was a harder one for me then the others so far. I still really liked it because it had all the people I loved in it, but Hunter is the one character I've never really liked. I'm not sure if it's because that's what Brigid always wants you to feel or if it's just the way I feel about him. He's such a snake! I feel about him just like the Merricks do! I just struggled with this one is all. I can't wait to read another one is all. I'm glad to have gotten this one done I guess. I adored it all, just not Hunter so much. Is that so wrong?

Final thoughts: I will absolutely be reading the next one, but was just not that a super fan of Hunter but that's because he's just so darn damaged which you learn all about in this one.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I loved Spark too,and thought Spirit was good but not as good as Spark...so I agree :) Look forward to Nick's full story.

    ReplyDelete