Monday, August 5, 2013

Review: Cold Fury by T.M. Goeglein

Cold Fury 
Author: T.M. Goeglein
Series: Cold Fury, Book 1
Release date: July 24, 2012
Published by: Putnam Juvenile
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sara Jane Rispoli is 16, very quiet, of Sicilian decent, loves old movies, a great natural boxer...oh, and on the run with a case full of cash, a gun, a credit card, and a notebook that so many would kill for if they knew about it! As for Sara, she only just found out about it...
and her family's connection to it and to...The Outfit.

My thoughts: This was a thrill ride adventure that was exactly what was advertised "Jason Bourne meets the Sopranos"! Whoa! I swear that there were very few quiet down times in this book and they were perfect where they came along. From beginning to end, Sara Jane is trying to figure out what is going on, to whom, where her family is, how they all fit in, and what she should do next before it's too late.

This would make a fantastic and thrilling movie! I especially loved all of the historical elements that were throughout the book; those really spoke to my little history nut in my head...The Capone Doors, the Molasses Club, the hideouts, the speakeasys, etc. Plus, being from nearby Chicago, just a bit north into Wisconsin where Capone and his gang used to vacation and later where they escaped to at times, I already knew some of these stories. I LOVED IT! I was really curious where the truth ends and where the fiction begins in all of these stories and these characters mentioned!?

Even thought I loved this book and swallowed it whole in about a day and a half, I was rather frustrated by two things...1. how the bully was handled (I'm not going to spoil things here, but if you've read this I'm guessing you'll know what I mean. I have a feeling I know where Goeglein was going with this, but I just don't think it's realistic for kids.) 2. The beginning was a bit slow here and there when Sara never questions things, but just keeps on with her quiet, quiet self...maybe this is simply to show her extreme change...!? That works, but I'm just saying that I was very frustrated but I think that's just because I was SO into the book and flying through it because it was SO GOOD!

Final thoughts: How do we get this made into a movie!? Oh, or a show!!!! This would be amazing as a TV Show! I can picture it! If you love tough chicks, gangsters like Al Capone, teen drama, and so much more then this is certainly for you! As for me...I'm on to book 2 so shhh! Pause life! :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment