Friday, August 9, 2013

Review: Flicker & Burn by T.M. Geoglein

Flicker & Burn 
Author: T.M. Goeglein
Series: Cold Fury, Book 2
Release date: August 20, 2013
Published by: Putnam Juvenile
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sara Jane's family is still missing, creepy creatures are trying to kidnap her every chance they get, her boyfriend just wants to meet her parents, and she is still acting as The Outfit's Counselor-at-large...in a nutshell her life is NUTS! Will she be able to hold everything together AND be able to figure out the answer to all her mysterious questions!? Who has taken her family? What do they want with them? What is the ultimate power that her family is supposed to have knowledge of?

My thoughts: This was an interesting ride...I have to be honest though that when I picked up the 1st book, I was really hoping that when I picked up a completely different genre then I usually read, since I always read fantasy and science fiction, I was so excited to read a mystery, mafia story based in Chicago and then it went all sideways and fantasy! I'm not sure how I feel about that...BUT the story in general was an amazing action adventure thrill ride from beginning to end just like the first book. It was just silly me who had the issue with the mystery v. fantasy.

The ice cream creatures were incredibly creepy and the whole bad guy story too was so, so creepy! WOW! It actually reminded me of the old 007 Bond movies and how utterly bizarre the bad guys were sometimes, like the guy with those creepy teeth! Plus, twisting her best friend was beyond creepy. Of course still living in the Bird Cage is very cool; what a neat building for a hideout and center for their operations! (I still maintain that this would make the COOLEST TV SHOW!!!)

New characters!: We have new characters that show up in this 2nd book which really make waves! I don't know that I want to say too much about them since there isn't anything about them in the summary and they really shake things up while also being a huge part of everything that happens in the end. So you'll just have to read the book to find out about them, but I have to say that they are just as well done as the rest are so well done Ted, well done!

Final thoughts: That cliffhanger ending Ted! Are you kidding me again sir!? ARGH! Now I have to wait FOREVER!!!! C'est la vie! I cannot wait to read the next installment of this and this seriously needs to be made into a TV show ASAP! It would be brilliant with flashbacks, hidden doors, and high school drama all wrapped into one! The CW should come running!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment