Friday, August 8, 2014

Review: Fragments by Dan Wells

Fragments 
Author: Dan Wells
Series: Partials Sequence, Book 2
Release date: February 26, 2014
Published by: Balzar + Bray
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Kira Walker has discovered the cure for RM, but has no idea how she did it! She knows it has something to do with the Partials and that they are the carriers of the cure, but she intends to find a way to manufacture it without draining Partials for it. Plus, there's another problem out there which is fueling the Partials into actions which could be detrimental to every human left because they have a ticking bomb of an end date and a group will do anything to find a cure to live. Kira just wants to save everyone. Will she be able to? She picks up a crew of misfits along her way to create the perfect team to do so hopefully and we cross our fingers and toes until the end...

My thoughts: This picks up right where book one left off and I was really worried I wasn't going to be able to keep up since it had been such a long time since I read it. That wasn't a problem at all. Once I dove in with Kira and the future world she lives in I was completely sucked in again. I really liked this book almost as much as I did book one, but this was so darn depressing of course (and it needs to be) that I had a hard time. I understand that is much more realistic than everything working out perfectly, but darn it all did I ever want a few things to go differently and had a hard time with that. Things also really seemed to drag in the middle too, but maybe that was the point at that spot in the plot where it was supposed to go on and on. So, the more I talk this out by typing, perhaps I was a bit judgmental and it was JUST as fantastic as the first one! :/ hmmmm....

The old comfy characters of Kira, Samm, Marcus, Nandita, Haru, and so many more are all in this book which helps to really suck you into the story we left off so abruptly with the first book. Wells is SO CRUEL with the cliffhangers! Grrr! In this book, we also get to meet some very interesting new characters. Afa was probably my favorite new character of all, but I was always so worried about him because he was so, so fragile both physically, and especially, mentally. He was fantastic though in the sense that he seemed to have amazing cognitive abilities and disabilities at the same time. Perhaps Asbergers? Then there was Heron who we briefly met in book 1, but in Book 2 we get to spend almost the whole time with her as part of the "team". We never really know if we trust her, but one things for sure she's always on her own side.

As for the plot itself it was interesting how Wells split the groups up and even though one was off hunting out into the dangerous "wilds" of the west, the others still fighting the good fight on Long Island were separate POVs from Kira to Marcus to Ariel. I liked this; it worked.

As usual this ended with an epic CLIFFHANGER and I cannot wait to get to book 2! This series is such a home-run! WOW!

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I also read Partials such a long time ago I don't even remember the characters. :/ But you make it sound so good! And meeting new, awesome characters is so fun. :) At least Book 3 is out, so you don't have to suffer the cliffhanger for long. Great review!

    Cindy @ In This World of Books..

    ReplyDelete