Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Review: Starflight

Starflight 
Author: Melissa Landers
Series: Starflight, Book 1
Release date: February 2, 2016 
Published by: Disney-Hyperion 
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Solar Brooks is sick of being an orphan who is beholden to others and their ideals for her. All she wants is land to call her own to work as hard as anyone else does where she's left in peace with her life. Unfortunately she's so desperate to reach the outer realms that she decides to sign on the spaceliner, Zenith, as Doran Spaulding's indentured servant. Doran, who is a very rich and popular quarterback from her high school, is also someone she loathes more then anything else. Then when they end up on a different ship altogether fighting their way across space for one reason and then another they truly begin to learn what really matters and that personalities can be very deceiving at first. Maybe they can save each other in the end...

My thoughts: This was very reminiscent of Firefly to me. Of course that means that I would sometimes slip into judging it based on that, or even Guardians of the Galaxy. That being said, it was full of adventure, drama and mystery from the very beginning to the very end. Wow! What a ride! 

Solara is a character that I instantly liked so much. She was feisty and a big underdog who had TONS of smarts which I LOVED! It didn't matter how many times she got knocked down or how scary the person or group was that she had to deal with...she was "in it to win it"! 

I thought I was going to hate Doran because in the beginning you do hate him after what he tries to do to Solara and how he treats her while they're on The Zenith. Then, he begins to become a different person as he is challenged by the issues after they leave The Zenith. Sometimes I find characters extremely weak when they act like Doran, or not believable I guess. I didn't feel that way about Doran. 

the adventure and story as a whole were so darn fun! I loved the drama and adventure of it all. Now I have a long wait for book 2! 

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment