After registering, I was instantly equally excited and nervous. I have only ever been to one other large book/librarian conference before = ALAMW15. It was at the very same convention center which helped a bit because I feel comfy with the hotel and convention center, plus at the last minute a pal and fellow teacher librarian decided to carpool with me. BUT, today and yesterday has included so many 1sts:
- Driving into downtown Chicago to McCormick Place.
- Getting a taxi - which I didn't do because after waiting in line for 45 minutes I decided I was going to be late to a dinner at another hotel and ran for my car instead.
- Driving right downtown from my hotel to another and back again alone and at night.
- Paying for unbelievably expensive parking for 3 hours during a Children's Librarian Dinner I attended.
- Attended an event completely on my own - BEA today and the Children's Librarian Dinner tonight.
- Met 7 authors I have never met before.
- Made a great connection with a publisher.
Today was a day of wandering, networking and chatting with publishers, authors and more. My feet ache SO darn much, but I already set my alarm for a ridiculous time in the morning as and will be back at it again tomorrow with another full schedule for the day. :) Here are a few pix from today...
I can't wait to see what comes next tomorrow! Have you ever been to a large book or librarian convention?